St. Andrews African Methodist Episcopal Church
‘Oldest African American Congregation on the Pacific Coast’
Celebrating 167 Years
‘Standing on the Promises of God’
Serving Community – Transforming Lives
Reverend Jason Thompson PhD, Pastor
St. Andrews African Methodist Episcopal AME Church is an historical congregation predating California statehood. In 1951 a newly built structure at 8th and V Streets was dedicated. The original church site on 7th Street between G and H Streets was declared a State Historic Landmark on January 27, 1995 by the California State Historical Landmarks Commission. On January 28, 1995 a newly constructed education building on the current location was dedicated.
This AME church congregation stands on the threshold of 168 years of serving God and community and continues to be a pioneering church focused on Christian witness and advocacy for religious, social action, political, educational, and cultural concerns for the underrepresented throughout the Sacramento community.